Interview with Author Jeremy C. Shipp
Recently I had the opportunity to interview Jeremy for the Blog. I agreed as long as he left the Attic Clowns at home and thankfully he stuck to his word. The Garden Gnomes however left my place in shambles and he still owes me for the broken lamp.
1. For those readers who might not know your work, can you tell them a bit about the books you write? Oh and for fun do it in ten sentences or less.
My books are funhouse mirrors that reflect reality in strange and unexpected ways. My tales are full of blessings and curses and monsters and flickers of light in the darkness.
2. What exactly is Bizarro Fiction and how does it differ from other genres?
Bizarro Fiction is a category for tales that can't be categorized. You might think that's a sort of paradox, and you'd be right.
3. I have to ask, why garden gnomes and Attic Clowns?
Years ago, I bought an old mirror at a yard sale. The mirror kept looking at me funny, so I decided to keep it up in the attic. The clowns oozed out of the mirror, and they've been up there ever since, tormenting me every chance they get. They slap me with rubber chickens and throw flaming pies at my face. They force me to write about them. And as for garden gnomes, I like their hats.
4. I'm sure you’re asked this a lot but, what is in the Bizarro Pie?
It's a gluten-free pie full of titanium sporks, unicorn meat, enchanted tea cozies, coconut monkey brains, snowman tears, hippo wings, and liquefied triumph of the human spirit.
5. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
The toughest criticisms come in the form of hate mail. One guy wrote to me to tell me that I'm evil for writing horror stories. The best compliment is whenever someone tells me that one of my books has helped them during a difficult time.
6. What does being a Bram Stoker nominated author mean to you?
It means a lot to me that my fellow horror writers enjoyed the book. Sometimes the thought causes me to burst into song. My cats enjoy my singing. At least, I'm going to assume that they do.
7. Look to your left, What is the first thing that you see?
A tiny statue of the mutant from The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, my favorite film.
8. Do you prefer writing short stories or full length novels? Why?
I like short stories, because it takes me less than a year to finish one. But I love novels, because it's fun to hang out with the same characters for so long. It's always intriguing to see who these characters become by the end of their journey, and who I become.
9. What book or author has had the greatest influence on you?
When I was growing up, HG Wells blew me away. His work is a big part of why I wanted to try my hand at writing.
10. If you had the ability to travel back in time and tell yourself one thing What would it be?
Stop worrying so much, you little weirdo! Worrying doesn't help. Oh, and Jeremy, here are the winning lotto numbers. Please use your fortune for good as well as evil.
11. Do you prefer reading horror books or watching horror movies?
I can't choose between the two. But I will say that I prefer reading good horror books to bad horror books. But strangely enough, I like bad horror movies almost as much as I like good horror movies. Bad horror movies make me chortle.
12. One last question, can you tell us about any upcoming projects?
Coming soon: a short story collection about monsters, a horror anthology I'm editing, a comic book, and maybe even a web series. I'll be sure to post more details as soon as possible at my website: jeremycshipp.com. Also, I'm planning to take over the world using my army of robotic monkeys. I mean, if I can find the time.
I'm sure you will Jeremy, thanks for stopping by.
Slices Of Bizzaro Pie
What a refreshing and funny interview! I totally agree about bad horror movies being as much fun as the good ones! Thanks for sharing and letting me know about this author!ReplyDelete
Thanks for stopping by and checking the Interview out.Delete
A complete dearth of it in fact. A romantic 123 without the romance, is just a 123 about complaining and whining. That’s what will go through your mind. It did for me. watch movies online free - 123movies.orgReplyDelete