Dear Diary: Confessions From A Blogger (17)Top 5 Reading Pet Peeves
We all know what goes on behind the scenes at our own blogs but rarely do we lift the curtain and share those experiences with others. Dear Diary: Confessions From A Blogger stems from the curiosity. Last chat I shared my Blogging Pet Peeves so I figured this week I'd share my Reading Pet Peeves as well!
|Here is my confession:
You know how it is. You start a book and suddenly wham a scenario you've seen played out in dozens of books before appears. Or worse you don't even start the book since you can tell from the synopsis that the book will probably be filled with things that peeve you off. I'm sure some of my pet peeves are things you love and I understand what one person loves another might hate. I only ask that you please refrain from throwing anything hard. Since I'm awesome I've provided some water balloons by the door if you do have the urge to pelt me with something. With that being said, here a my Top 5 Pet Peeves while reading:
1. Love Triangles- If done right I don't mind this scenario. However, more often than not it's a girl pawning over a guy whose a jerk while a really sweet dependable guy pines away in silence. Only after some scenario that reveals Mr. Jerk Face's true colors does she decide to switch to the nice, dependable guy who really could do better but ends up in scenario #2 on my pet peeves list.
2. Insta Love- There is nothing worse than having two characters with nothing in common (except sexual attraction) decide that they are now soul mates. Insta Love to me is so boring. Where's the chase, the mystery?? Instead we just have two people thrown together for no other reason than they are both main characters in the story and more often than not incredibly good looking as well. The only time Insta Love works for me is in scenarios like Twilight with the whole Imprinting or in old classics where the girls/guys simple didn't know better.
3. Male/Female/Plant/Animal??- If I'm reading a book I need to know what sex and species my characters are. I don't like blurring the lines where it takes the whole book to figure out if the mc is male,female or even humanoid at all. I know some people can read books where the characters identity is ambiguous but I can't.
4. No Punctuation- I haven't read many books like this but the ones I have were enough for me. Usually when I start a book like this I downgrade it a star instantly. It is simply not something I enjoy trying to figure out. The only story I've read where I didn't mind this was The Road.
5. Stupid Characters making stupid decisions- I cannot stand when a character does something so incredibly stupid that it leaves you wondering if they have any brain cells at all. I can't stand stupid people in real life why would I tolerate them in books??
Well those are my Top 5 reading pet peeves. Sure I have little things that bug me now and again but these 5 are the most hair pulling, eye roll inducing, curse word flinging ones I've come across.
Now that you've read my confession, Tell me some of yours:
Do you have any Reading Pet Peeves??
If so, Care to share a few?
Leave your responses in the comments below, I love reading them and seeing your feedback. Have a question? Leave that as well and I'll try and answer it.
_________________________________________That about wraps up this weeks confessions from a blogger. Thanks for stopping by and reading,sharing, or commenting on this post. As always, it is appreciated.